Monday, April 6, 2020

OSR: Barrowmaze AP

This is a session report of Idle Doodler's open table Barrowmaze campaign. I play Father Kask, a Level 1 Cleric.

It is the day 26. A good one for my first venture to the Barrows. The sites there need holy cleansing.
Guildmaster Olson has a reasonable proposition for my time in Helix, for a mere 20% of recovered goods and treasures.
He's not a local, like me, but I decide to trust him based on his reputation in town.

Introductions are done, Kalis and Quag will be my companions in this expedition.
Grizzled and experienced, the pair has survived the dreadful Barrows before. Comfort, seems the Gods bestowed me capable hands.
We still lack the numbers, so I convince Malg, a Dwarf bringing excellent equipment for battling, to 2 weeks of mercenary work.
With remorse and a sense of filth, we check the local brothel for lost but capable souls.
Belchwic, an out of shape young lad, stands out of the crowd. He still could be corrected, with the right fatherly guidance.
Quag brings horses and Ram, who will later be proven invaluable.
Kalis decided to hire Fardash, a wizard of sorts with a tad of a cocky attitude.

On the 27th day we leave for the swamp lands with the break of dawn.
Quag and Kalis have a set route in mind, wanting to revisit a known Barrow filled with water and deadly statues.
We make our way to our goal without encountering any dangers on our path! Feeling blessed, I throw my hands to the skies.

At the site, we leave our horses and Quag sends Ram (with a bribe, no less!) to drive the deadly statues out.
An ambush of sorts, it seems. After 10 minutes of wait, the hired helper returns with an unsuccessful result.
I question Ram's integrity, but leave my reservations to myself. Fear and lies in this unholy place seem almost natural.

Ultimately, the 7 of us descend to the bowels, torches and weapons in hand. Water fills the space, wetting my boots and pants.
An unexplored door to the right is deemed appropriate by Quag. Swollen and sturdy, the Ranger still manages to open it.
In there, a mysterious tablet and an amphora sit at the end of the room.
Mysterious treasure, with the promise of history and power!
Unfortunately, the promise of riches clogs Quag's usual care, and he falls to a pit concealed by the dark, cold water.
The splashing brings forward two vicious bats like I've never seen before, as big as eagles!
A fight ensues, where I try to bolster Malg's efforts and move forward in the busy corridor.
We dispose of the bats before the problem escalates.
Fardash shows that he won more than one knife-throwing competition at the local taverns.
Perhaps he should be more focused in his studies instead? Who am I to judge...
Quag's hurt. But he pockets the valuable amphora and the mysterious tablet.
I inspect the carved stonework in the room. Depictions of an ancient battle, with Giants of some sort taking part.

Finally, we move to the room with the statues, on the Western side of the complex.
4 remain, including one of an Elven Warrior that used to have a sword, already plundered on a previous expedition.
Kalis is weary of the statues attacking, so decides to chisel away the head of one of them with Malg's expert dwarven advice.
It's true what they say about a Dwarf. Stone and drink and battle. Those are his known nouns. Stereotypes be damned.
In anger, the other 2 lizard-like statues animate. If they could show any emotion, I'm sure it would be anger and fury.
Kalis shows courage, and charges forward to meet them, followed by Malg.
I notice my bowels turn upside down. My heart wants to rip out of my chest, drumming uncontrollably. But I move forward.
At this point, I see an arrow shot by Ram, ripping the head off of one of the statues.
Divine intervention? Is this one touched by the Gods? He will be celebrated back in town, and I won't forget this feat.
Overwhelming the last standing statue with blows, magical darts, and arrows, we dispose of it.
Kalis has taken a beating, but as a group we are surprisingly hardy.
Our last step is an exploration of a secret door in the Northern side of this room.
In there, an ominous sarcophagus resembling the Elven Warrior stands against the wall.
The fear of an undead abomination in the sarcophagus has us all in our nerves. I question my role in all of this.
Quag, once again, shows determination, opening the contents with a mix of wits, rope, and a pole-arm.
The consumed corpse floats on the water. I store the salvageable boots of Elven fabric it was wearing.
Outside, I give the Warrior of old a proper burial, let his soul rest in peace.
Unsure this complies with Elven tradition, I comfort myself with the fact that this is better than floating on filthy water.

Our way back to Helix on horse is hasty and uneventful. We avoid the fog and perils, yet again.
In town, we seek audience with Mazzahs to try and understand or sell the recovered tablet.
The Wizard's interest is evident, so I negotiate a finders' fee for its retrieval of 650gp for Quag, Kalis, and myself.
We will also learn its secrets, in case Mazzahs research on it turns out to be fruitful.

The last day has taught me many things, including that good and capable hands reside in this town.

A shrine to mourn our efforts in less blessed days will be my next endeavor, as I await the next expedition to cleanse the Barrows of their evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment